Watching the wheelchair racers cross the finish line motivated me to tackle something that had been on my life list (my "Bucket List" if you will)-- run a marathon. Ever since running a marathon, I take cheering very seriously! Each year I credit several "saves" to my name... cheering so loud that people start running again! I also get a kick out of yelling "GAMBATTE!" to any Japanese runner ("gambatte" meaning: good luck, keep it up, you can do it, dig deep... as any true Japanese term could mean.) My best "gambatte moment" was the first year, when the guy turned, looked at me and did a little jig step, he was so excited to see a blond American girl cheering in his native language. It was awesome!
This year I found a fellow cheering-enthusiast in Alli, back from Singapore.
We had a great time cheering for the runners by name, if they had it written on their shirts.
It was a gorgeous spring day-- perfect for running.
Elijah loved hanging out on my back watching the crowds, but especially getting "Auntie" Alli's attention.
Tears in my eyes watching nearly 70-year old Dick Hoyt pushing son Rick in what I believe is their 28th Boston Marathon, and somewhere near 70th marathon... I couldn't find an exact updated count. What an amazing story...
I find every marathoner's story inspiring
Well, almost every story... The burger and fries costume? The Elvis outfits? The tutus? I guess whatever gets you through!
Elijah enjoyed practicing his new skill, clapping, from atop his Daddy's shoulders. He was eyeing the runners with interest. He has not started walking yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if he runs before he walks.
Great job on this story, Jamie! Makes me feel like I'm there almost as much as your yearly phone call from the race -- which I'm so sorry I missed!
ReplyDeleteSo much fun to see your adorable Elijah and the two of you again! Alli's nana
ReplyDelete